Airpura Air Purification Technology
Conscious of its role as an environmental company, Airpura Industries is determined to operate in the greenest way possible while manufacturing an excellent product that improves the living environment of their clients.
Their objectives are to:
- Reduce waste, and carbon emissions.
- Recycle materials used in production and facilitate the recycling of Airpura products at the end of their useful life.
- Reuse wherever possible.
The most pressing and dangerous environmental issue of our time. Airpura is determined to contribute to the reduction of carbon emissions while manufacturing a modern efficient air purifier that will bring the health benefits of living in clean air to clients.
- Airpura situated its plant in an area where electric power is generated by hydro power that is completely carbon emission free.
- To reduce carbon emissions from road transport, Airpura has instituted a program of consolidated shipments to be sure that any trucks moving the products are running as full as possible. Through diligence, determination and some extra effort, our shipping department has succeeded in reducing traffic without any delays in order shipments.
- For smaller local shipments, Airpura uses a minivan with lower fuel consumption than a regular truck and they’re shopping for a viable alternate fuel vehicle to further reduce carbon emissions.
- Incoming shipments – whether components or for customer service – are consolidated at our receiving hub to reduce traffic.
- Airpura has instituted a program to encourage employees to travel to the plant by the most environmentally friendly and healthy means…
- 30% of transit cost passes is paid by the company.
- The purchase of a bicycle is subsidized for employees who wish to ride from home or the subway station (a healthy 10 minute ride from the plant).
- Carpooling is encouraged by offering a $10 weekly bonus to employees willing to share transport rather than drive in alone.
- Airpura is negotiating to sponsor a tree planting initiative with local schools to create some carbon offset.
Airpura strives to break away from the cycle of over-using natural resources and then harming the environment with the resulting unnecessary waste.
- All boxes used by Airpura are made of recycled cardboard.
- Any paper products that cannot be reused (for packaging fill for example) are recycled (a premium service for which local authorities charge extra).
- Although hardcopy forms and documents will always be available for the convenience of our clients, Airpura actively encourages the use of paperless documentation for communication with all our distribution partners as well as administration, banking, and government correspondence.
Progressive Product Design
Airpura’s design choices are informed by green considerations. Airpura strives to obtain the most inert components with the smallest environmental footprint possible, while creating an air purifier that delivers unparalleled premium filtration performance.
- Airpura’s 560 cfm backward curved motorized impeller is a marvel of modern design. It weighs less than half of the older motor/shaft/blower wheel configurations used by other air purifiers but delivers greater airflow for the same power consumption. The environmental advantage of this superior component means that less material is used, transported and disposed of – but at the same time more efficient air purification is enjoyed by clients.
- The capacitors are PCB free, no lead is used in soldering in the speed control and the UV lamp ballasts are electronic.
- The Airpura 600 series is free of any plastic, rubber, silicone, adhesives or bonding agents (other than a small amount of materials required to meet UL, ETL, CE and CSA safety requirements). The inert nature of our construction avoids any chemical vapors contaminating the clean air stream of the Airpura 600 series and means that disposal at the end of the life of the unit will not cause toxic harm to the environment.
- The construction of the 600 series carbon containers demonstrates the role that environmental concerns play at all stages of design and production at Airpura. Despite a slightly higher cost and a little more time and effort, it was decided to use rivet fastening rather than spot welding. Spot welding was found to both use more energy and to give off particles and chemical vapors including greenhouse gases.
- The innovative ‘sock’ filter liner in the 600 series – the carbon cylinders allows a more open metal mesh that both permits a better airflow in and out of the carbon bed and at the same time reduces the amount of material used, transported and eventually disposed of. Again this design element is a little more time consuming and requires a little more effort, but is well worth it for the environment and in terms of production and performance.
- Airpura does not waste space in it carbon filters by using zeolite. Zeolite is an inexpensive filler (costing only 20% as much as activated carbon but weighing 7 times more) that adds nothing to the filtration process but carries an environmental cost for transportation and disposal.
- Airpura refillable carbon canisters are all metal and built with galvanized steel to avoid corrosion. This environmentally conscious design reduces both waste and operating costs.
- The Airpura all-metal housing – avoiding plastic – results in a more ecologically sound product. 93% of the 600 series air purifier is recyclable. The metal housing – unlike plastics – will not off-gas harmful VOC’s into the air you breathe.
- The unique Airpura pressure sealed filter chamber allows a simple re-usable wool /poly blend gasket to be employed to prevent unfiltered air bypass. Other less efficient sealing systems require glues, silicones, or rubber compounds in their gaskets and yet only achieve lower efficiency ratings.
- The generous 585 square inch surface area of Airpura pre-filters can be cleaned by vacuuming the exterior of the unit. This increases the efficiency, lengthens the lifespan of the pre-filter and reduces waste. Both the standard polydense and optional all cotton Airpura pre-filters may be washed and reused.
It is clear that the future belongs to enterprises that can operate within the boundaries of a renewable resource, low emission economic model. Airpura offers high quality innovative air purification products that provide a healthy, clean indoor environment, and operate in a way that continues to contribute to the improvement of the environmental health of the planet we all share.