The prostate gland is the most vulnerable gland in the male body. It is a small, walnut-shaped gland that lies at the neck of a man's bladder encircling the urethra which is the tube through which urine flows. It sits at the base of the penis. The function of the prostate is to produce a milky, alkaline, seminal lubricating fluid that carries the sperm during ejaculation and protects its vitality from acidity.
At the age of 30 men begin converting more of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. This is where the trouble begins. This new compound is a contributor to male pattern baldness, and causes the prostate to grow. These increased levels of the hormone contribute to the rapid growth of cancer. Prostate overgrowth is called Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy or BPH and can, over time, develop into cancer. The good news is that this cancer remains localized for the most part and will never be detected during a lifetime. There often will be no symptoms other the obvious existence of an enlarged prostate.
Prostate problems are becoming more and more publicized as each year the number of men experiencing problems increases. The statistics indicate that approximately 80% of men over the age of 80 will develop an overgrown prostate. It has long been considered to be caused by hormonal changes but more recently has been attributed to diet and lifestyle. High fat diets in particular have been associated with an increase in prostate cancer.
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in North American men. It hits 20,000 Canadian men over 40 years of age annually. There are no symptoms in the early stages and, if undetected for long periods of time, can spread throughout the blood and produce metastases in other places such as the lymph and bones. Focus on living a healthy lifestyle. Stay free of succumbing to prostate-related disease.
What to Avoid
The main irritants of the prostate gland are coffee, caffeinated food or beverages, alcohol, tobacco, red peppers, and dehydration. With respect to sexual relations and ejaculation, both too much or too little can be a problem. Sitting for long periods of time should be avoided as well as any jarring motions such as riding a horse, bicycle or motorbike. The prostate gland is part of the male genitourinary tract, it also plays a part in sexual function. Some conventional treatments can affect the ability to perform sexually therefore many man are hesitant to seek help. It must be emphasized that early detection is critical and problems can be reversed.
Special Points of Interest
- The prostate gland contains ten times more zinc than any other organ in the body.
- Only 3% die from prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is most common in men over the age of 50.
- 89% of those diagnosed with prostate cancer will live longer than 5 years; 63% of those will live over 10 years.
- Most men with prostate cancer will die of other causes.
- If prostate cancer is found before it spreads, then the survival rate is nearly 100%.
Do I Need to Be Concerned
Several problems can arise with the prostate in a lifetime and are avoidable. On occasion the symptoms may mimic other problems. The bottom line is "PAY ATTENTION" and take responsibility for monitoring your health. Two of the most common are:
Swollen Prostate -often caused by hormonal changes but also connected to diet. Initially, an enlarged gland will not produce symptoms other than a reduced flow of urine.
Infection of the Prostate -pain is typically experienced in the lower abdomen or when sitting down. Sometimes an infection may result in a fever, general fatigue or a feeling of being unwell. In more severe cases, there will be difficulty passing urine or a urethral discharge. The most inconvenient results of infection of the prostate gland are the frequency of urination, dribbling and incontinence.
Symptoms to Watch For
- Frequent urination, waking at night to urinate
- Weak urinary stream, no pressure
- Loss of urinary control
- Painful urination
- Blood in the urine
- Feeling unable to empty bladder
- Delay in urination
- Stopping & starting stream, waiting for a stream to begin
Just as with women's hormonal difficulties, the bowel and liver health need to be addressed. The liver is the main manufacturing center for hormones therefore the degree of your hormonal imbalance is directly proportional to how congested your liver and bowel are. The ability of the bowel to function is directed connected to the liver's ability to produce bile. It's a working team within that needs all the support it can get to do the job. It can be that simple.
Is Surgery the Answer?
Even if your prostate test is clean as a whistle, you still need to actively pursue health in order to protect this delicate gland from harms way. We like what Dr. Michael Colgan has to say. He maintains the many surgeries are performed needlessly and often based merely on the suspicion of cancer. The number of surgeries has escalated to astronomical proportions, an almost 600% increase from 1984 to 1990 alone! This alarming rise in surgeries has also been accompanied by an increase in prostate cancer death. Is this procedure a prime contributor towards the worst scenario?
There's more. Approximately 50% of those who receive radiation become impotent. The media has succeeded in creating enough fear in men that they agree to all recommended procedures without even considering other options. It is interesting to note that the US Preventive Services Task Force, the Canadian Task Force on the Periodic Health Examination and the International Union Against Cancer ALL recommend AGAINST routine prostate testing. Sweden is known for its approach to prostate care...they leave the knife out of the picture and focus on other solutions.
Do you wish to be another statistic or are you ready to take responsibility for your health? Give us a call.
More Reasons for Imbalance
Another probable cause of prostate hypertrophy or enlargement is zinc deficiency. Also related is cadmium toxicity. Inflammation of the prostate is associated with a high sodium/potassium ratio whereas a prostate infection is connected with a low sodium/potassium ratio as this represents an infectious process pattern.
It is advisable to have your prostate-specific antigen or PSA levels checked just to see where the health of the prostate is sitting. From there you can make an informed choice based on both medical and alternative health approaches to a healthy prostate. Do not be frightened into surgery before you have explored what Remarkable Health has to offer you. Clean up the Inner Terrain, change your lifestyle to benefit your health and support the healing of any problem areas. There are alternatives to going under the knife!
What's Behind Prostate Trouble
It is known that 50% of men over the age of 50 have prostate problems and don't even know it. Insufficient water intake, poor diet and being overweight are considered to be grand contributors. Have you ever considered that hormonal imbalances and constipation may be at the root of the problem? Constipation causes swelling in the colon therefore creates pressure on the prostate gland which sits in close proximity. Because of the location, constipation allows bacteria to migrate from the colon to the prostate. In turn, this inflammation and swelling is called prostatitis.
Constipation is a huge problem in both men and women. Women manifest the toxicity from constipation in the thyroid and ovary/uterus, whereas men manifest it in the prostate. Most frequently, these conditions in both men and women are driven by hormonal imbalances as well which brings us back to liver health.
The causes of constipation are many. Poor nutrition, 'holding back', lack of physical exercise, emotional and mental stress, medications, lack of enough good quality water and the myriad of poisons that infiltrate us on a daily basis. Whenever we artificially stimulate the colon, there is the possibility of the opposite effect manifesting and the end result being lack of tone in the muscle of the intestine. Some laxatives and bowel aids actually make tiny tears in the walls of the intestine creating scarring after even short term use. Maintaining a healthy inner terrain and using safe choices for improving bowel function are essential.
You Are What You Eat
Enlarged prostates were first noted in the early 1960's, when insecticides such as DDT and chemical food additives had been in use for about 10 years. By 1976, these toxins had plenty of opportunity to manifest their harm and 60% of men during this time period experienced prostate enlargement. An increase in the enzyme called 5 alpha reductase, which converts testosterone to DHT, was observed in those experiencing excess growth of the prostate. The increase in this enzyme can be directly related to pesticides and industrial solvents.
All manufactured chemicals have the potential to create problems once ingested. Any foreign substance that enters the blood stream must find a home and can sometimes be absorbed by the tiny capillaries that surround such areas as the prostate gland, creating swelling and congestion. This brings to light the critical roll that the Wellness Filter (restructured ionized water) has. This one-of-a-kind system will increase your body's ability to pull toxins from tissue and help eliminate the stored debris. It is a simple and most effective medicine.
How To Help?
In the event that you are experiencing difficulty or suspecting an infectious process, you may begin doing some simple regimes to alleviate discomfort.
- Use hot and cold compresses applied on the perineum, the area between the scrotum and the anus, or use sitz baths. Alternate between hot and cold and add salt to the water for added benefit.
- Adjust your diet to include fresh and raw choices. Reduce animal protein.
- Eliminate such things as spicy foods, coffee, caffeinated drinks, and alcohol. Bad fats must definitely be eliminated.
- Empty the prostate's seminal fluid regularly to prevent any stagnant buildup from breeding bacteria. Regular sexual activity is vital.
- Seek advice and examine the many other options that exist for maintaining a healthy prostate.
- Keep informed about the latest is prostate health without becoming alarmed by the media hype surrounding this sensitive topic. Make Hormone Replacement Therapy a last choice.
Pay Attention - It Could Mean Your Life
The number one reason why men fail to pay attention to the health of their prostate is simply because they fear the examination. Once they are over that, they then fear the prognosis. There are many stories about impotence being a direct consequence of traditional prostate treatment.
Simple and Successful Solutions
- An active sexual life will ensure better chances of a healthy prostate. Immune cells flourish when we are happy, content and in a loving relationship. In addition, seminal fluid that is not able to be released causes inflammation, therefore contributing to the problem.
- Tomatoes contain the phytonutrient called lycopene which contains anticancer properties. Increase the use of this food by adding our spray-dried certified organic and kosher certified Tomato powder to your diet. Pesticide free and pure organic quality.
- Omega 3 Fish Oils are especially effective at decreasing inflammation in the prostate. They produce hormone-like prostaglandins that prevent excessive prostate growth by blocking testosterone from binding to the prostate. Also, Fish Oils are exceptional at deterring any infectious process.
- Cranberry is a wonderful weapon against invading bacteria and infection. Cranberry actually prevents bacteria from attaching to the wall of the bladder, thus disabling potential infection. For those experiencing difficulty emptying the bladder, Cranberry is a good choice. Choose from our organic certified Cranberry powder that is free from pesticides and sugars, as sugar reduces the ability of the immune cells to do their job.
- The Wellness Filter studies have proven that using restructured ionized water greatly benefits its users. Virtually all tested subjects experienced a significant improvement in bowel health and waste elimination. Urinary tract infections decreased. The reduced ions in the restructured water allowed for the reduction in the presence of free radicals and their subsequent damage to DNA. Water is your number one medicine.