Capsella bursa-pastoris, Cruciferae!
Habitat: A common plant growing in many parts of the world.
Collection: The herb can be collected from February until October.
Part Used: Aerial parts.
- Flavonoids; luteolin-7-rutinoside and quercitin-3-rutinoside
- Polypeptides of undetermined structure
- Plant acids; fumaric and bursic acids
- Bases; choline, acetylcholine, histamine, tyramine.
Actions: Astringent, diuretic, anti-inflammatory.
Indications: This easily recognized plant may be used wherever a gently diuretic is called for, for instance in water retention due to kidney problems. As an astringent it will prove effective in the treatment of diarrhea, wounds, nose bleeds, and other conditions. It has specific use in the stimulation of the menstrual process whilst also being of use in the reduction of excess flow. Priest & Priest tell us that it is a mild relaxing and gently stimulating to the kidneys and urinary tract: relieves atonic and catarrhal conditions, and controls haemorrhages. Tonic to the pelvic organs. Especially indicated when the urine is heavy with phosphatic and brick dust sediments.
They give the following specific indications: vesico-renal irritations from atonic states. Enuresis. Passive capillary haemorrhages, functional menorrhagia, bleeding fibroid tumors, metrorrhagia. Congestive leucorrhaea. Internal haemorrhage of lungs and bowels, recurrent epistaxis. Haemorrhoids. Ellingwood recommends it for the following patholgies : haematuria, passive haemorrhage, chronic menorrhagia, intestinal haemorrhage, gastric haemorrhage, atonic dyspepsia, diarrhea, dysentary, bleeding piles. Externally may be applied to bruised or strained muscles, rheumatic joints.
Combinations: Combines well with Agrimony, Cranesbill or Periwinkle
Preparations & Dosage:
- Infusion: pour a cup of boiling water onto 1-2 teaspoonfuls of the dried herb and leave to infuse for 1- minute. If it is used for menstrual conditions, it should be drunk every 2-3 hours during and just before the period. Otherwise drink it three times a day.
- Tincture: take 1-2ml of the tincture three times a day.