Aromatherapy For Anxiety
Anxiety is an excellent warning system, when it is warranted and justified. It is that feeling in your gut that tells you that you should not be in the place or situation, or that you are making the wrong decision. But over 40 million US adults are experiencing frequent anxiety even when there’s no real threat or concern. Prolonged periods of anxiety cause high level of stress and emotional pain. The medical system will recommend pharmaceutical drugs, especially benzodiazepine drugs like Ativan, Xanax, and Valium. They will numb you, but in the long term these are not only ineffective, but also capable of destroying your mental health.
The list of side effects of Xanax, for illustration:
- depressed mood,
- thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself,
- unusual risk-taking behavior,
- decreased inhibitions,
- no fear of danger;
- confusion, hyperactivity, agitation, hostility, hallucinations;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- chest pain, pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
- uncontrolled muscle movements, tremor, seizure (convulsions); or jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- drowsiness, dizziness, feeling tired or irritable;
- blurred vision, headache, memory problems, trouble concentrating;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- swelling in your hands or feet;
- muscle weakness, lack of balance or coordination, slurred speech;
- upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea;
- increased sweating, dry mouth, stuffy nose; or appetite or weight changes, loss of interest in sex.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Many of these anti-anxiety drugs activate dopamine in your brain, the gratification hormone, that you soon will find hard to give up. Ironically, the symptoms of withdrawal from many anxiety medications include extreme states of anxiety some of which are far worse than the original symptoms that gave reason for treatment originally. There is a safe, natural alternative for treating anxiety: aromatherapy.