Potassium is the essential mineral necessary for regulating the tidal flow of fluids in and out of the cells. Without sufficient potassium, the balance is disrupted and health suffers by every measure. Potassium is involved in carbohydrate to energy conversions and storage. It is involved in enzymes and in protein synthesis. It is critical for the heart, muscles, kidneys and oxygenation of the brain. Potassium is bulky and not optimally delivered as an isolate crude mineral supplement. It takes a handful of potassium supplement pills to be equivalent to the Potassium of a good diet. Potassium is best delivered in a good diet including Green Leafy Vegetables, Oranges, Fruit Juice, Bananas and Potatoes.
Role of Potassium in your body!
Potassium has many roles, especially intracellular fluid balance, and cell membrane effects such as muscle contraction, nerve impulse conduction, and cell permeability.
Functions of Potassium
- Circulatory– lowers heart rate, dilates arteries, can reduce blood pressure
- Excretory – maintains acid-base balance
- Digestive– increases digestive tract activity
- Endocrine – helps raise aldosterone and other hormones
- Metabolic – involved in carbohydrate metabolism
Potassium Deficiency Symptoms
fatigue, skin problems, water retention, low blood sugar, low blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, constipation, allergies, muscle weakness, slow oxidation
Potassium Excess Symptoms
high blood sugar (diabetes), fast oxidation, weakness-muscles, depression-mental, muscle spasms
calcium, processed food diets are low in potassium
Hair Analysis Notes
Potassium in known as the follow-through mineral.
Low Hair Potassium
- indicates adrenal gland exhaustion
- very low potassium is associated with allergies, fatigue, low blood sugar, sweet cravings, and low blood pressure.
High Hair Potassium
- indicates high sugar and glucocorticoid levels
- very high potassium can be a potassium loss due to excessive breakdown of body cells.
Reasons for Potassium Supplementation
- to lower a high sodium/potassium ratio
- to enhance energy production
Sources of Potassium!
Seafood– halibut, herring, ling cod, sardines
Nuts/seeds – pecans, sesame, sunflower, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, chestnuts, filberts, peanuts
Fruits – avocados, dates, figs, prunes, raisins, grapes, tangerines, lemons
Vegetables – asparagus, green peppers, spinach, kale, watercress, garlic, horseradish, lentils, parsley, potatoes, spinach, artichokes, lima beans, beet greens, swiss chard, collard, brussels sprouts, fresh corn, parsnips, broccoli.
Grains – buckwheat, rye, wheat bran
Miscellaneous – molasses, mushrooms, kelp, yeast, salt substitutes
Herbs – mint leaves, meadowsweet
Supplementary Supplements to Raise Potassium
The Effects of Potassium on Personality!
Key Words: follow through energy, (cortisone)
Low Potassium: fatigued, depressed, withdrawn, low energy, low stamina and follow through
High Potassium: active, good stamina if ratio with sodium is normal. If the ratio with sodium is low, a high potassium indicates frustration, a double-bind situation, stuck, beating one’s head against a wall.